Zero Waste Harissa Roasted Cauliflower with Za’atar Hummus
Recipe for Zero Waste Harissa Roasted Cauliflower with Za'atar Hummus, Cauliflower Roasted Leaves, Poached Dried Dates, Purple Beetroot Puree and Garden Herbs Salad (serves x4):
- Method: Trim the leaves of one cauliflower, wash the flower and leaves briefly in salted water. Mix 2 tbsp harissa spice blend with 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tsp salt to form a rough paste. Coat the cauliflower with the paste, making sure to cover the whole surface, and roast at 180C for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the leaves roughly, season with salt, pepper and a little lemon oil and roast at 180C for 15 minutes.
- For the hummus: Mix 2 tsp harissa spice and 2 tbsp lemon juice with 200g hummus until smooth. Set aside.
- For the beetroot cream: Take 200g cooked purple beetroot with skin and blend with a little apple juice until very smooth. Season with salt and a touch of lemon juice.
- For the garnish: Clean 2 spring onions. Season and chargrill for a couple of minutes, slice into three pieces each and set aside. Peel 1 satsuma and segment. Put in a bowl together with 1/2 tsp sugar and 6 pitted dates and cover with boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and roughly chop. For the herb oil, finely chop 2 tbsp mixed fresh herbs (parsley, chives, anything to use up!!) and mix with a little olive oil to a spoonable consistency. For the salad, pick any small parts of lettuce, herbs and vegetable trimmings such as carrot that you may have in the fridge. Wash carefully and use to garnish.
- To build: When the cauliflower is ready, leave to rest for ten minutes then carefully quarter. The outside should be dark, crispy and well- seasoned and the inside light and tender. Make a generous sweep of hummus on the plate, place the cauliflower quarter in the centre and build the garnish to make a ‘loaded’ hummus. Warm the beetroot puree gently and add to the plate. Garnish with the leaf salad, spoon over the herb oil and serve!