Wild mushroom & squash burger with crushed herb peas & picante salsa
By Marek Dabrowski
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 45 min
Ingredients for vegetable burger patties
- 250g wild mushroom
- 250g Paris brown mushrooms
- 150g butternut squash (diced & roasted)
- 1 x onion
- 2 x garlic cloves
- Cajun spice
- ½ x bunch parsley
- 50g plain flour
- Salt & pepper
- Virgin olive oil
- Burger bun of choice
- Slice of tomato
Ingredients for crushed herb peas
- 150g garden peas
- 1/3 x bunch of parsley
- 20g diced onion
- 2 x cloves garlic
- 50ml vegetable stock
- ½ x lemon zest
Ingredients for Picante Salsa
- 2 x tomatoes cut into small cubes.
- ½ x red onion cut into small cubes.
- ½ x red & ½ x green jalapeño diced finely.
- 1/3 x bunch of coriander
- 1 x garlic clove
- ½ Lime juice & zest
- Salt & pepper
Cooking method for burger
- Preheat the oven to 185C ready to roast butternut squash.
- Dice all mushrooms.
- Dice the butternut squash.
- Dice the onion, chop the parsley and mince garlic cloves.
- Sauté the diced onion and garlic until lightly brown.
- Put the squash into the oven coated with virgin olive oil, salt & pepper for about 15 mins.
- Add wild & Paris brown Mushroom to the onion and garlic mix, cook for 10 - 15 minutes on a medium heat.
- Season the mushroom and onion mix with Cajun spice to taste, parsley, salt & pepper and plain flour.
- Once squash is out of the oven turn down the temperature to 165C ready for your burger mix.
- Mash roasted squash and add to the mushroom mix.
- Make 4 balls of equal size and mould into a burger shape.
- Put the burger patties on a tray with rubber mat or baking parchment and roast for 15 - 20 mins at 165C.
Cooking method for crushed herb peas
- Braise the peas with parsley, onion and garlic, vegetable stock and lemon zest for 5 - 8 mins on a low heat (try not to overcook the peas or they’ll brown).
- Blend the braised peas for 5 - 10 seconds
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
Cooking Method for picante salsa
- Thinly chop everything and mix together, adjust seasoning with lime juice & zest, with a pinch of salt & pepper
Assemble the burger beginning with the bun base, burger patty, a spoon of crushed peas, a slice of tomato, a spoon of salsa and top with the bun.
Hope you enjoy - Marek Dabrowski, Head Chef at etcvenues 133 Houndsditch