Social responsibility and sustainability have always been at the heart of etc.venues. Our founder was one of the first Green Champions in London and a strong commitment to our local community has always been a natural choice for us. As we grow and become a global organisation, we will continue to ensure we have a positive impact on the environment and our local community.
Our Recycling & Waste Initiatives
Our green spaces should thrive, especially in a city centre. Recycling and waste management is an area we are working hard to improve by:
- Removing unnecessary single use plastics from our venues and using biodegradable alternatives for both straws and coffee stirrers
- Encouraging our clients to use less disposables. For example we recently introduced fully biodegradable disposable cups – and compostable lids too – a bit of an industry first
- Using recyclable materials in our furnishings and fittings – for instance our carpets are made out of recycled carpet tiles
- Recycling when we refurbish older properties, giving much of our previously loved furniture to local community groups.
- Recycling more than paper and cardboard - including our fluorescent light tubes, standard dry battery cells, cans, plastic bottles, glass and mixed plastic from our venues
- Using non-toxic cleaning materials and purchase in bulk to minimise waste packaging
- Ensuring any oil used in our kitchen is responsibly disposed of using external suppliers.
Our Food Initiatives
Our in house chefs at etc.venues are committed to ensuring healthy eating is at the heart of our offering by:
- Ensuring our venues are “Food for Life Served Here” certified by the Soil Association which recognises venues that serve fresh food that is environmentally, sustainably and ethically sourced, through local food producers.
- Actively promoting purchasing policies that embrace ethically sourced products - for instance our tea is Rainforest Alliance Certified
- Searching for local suppliers where we can and offering healthy alternatives at every break.
- Keeping our menus seasonal to limit our food miles and only serving sustainable fish whenever we can.
Find out more about "Food for Life Served Here" follow this link.
Our Energy Initiatives
High impact events can be achieved without cranking up the power. We assist clients to make energy use more efficient by:
- Building energy efficiency into all new venues; using automatic (PIR) lights, energy saving lightbulbs and timed aircon where we can.
- Monitoring all our utilities consumption at our venues.
- Striving to work with our landlords to reduce our emissions and the impact on the environment by ensuring that gas, electricity and water meters are calibrated regularly.
- What’s more, where we are responsible for buying electricity we only buy ‘green’ electricity.
Our Travel Initiatives
All our venues are accessible and close to public transport hubs. We actively encourage public transport to our venues and offer a travel loan to our team members to encourage the use of public transport.
Further information on sustainable travel options including maps and links to public transport operators can be found on our Maps page.
Our Employee Initiatives
Our people are at the heart of our business and our commitment to our teams remains a key founding value.
- We have a rigorous training and development program throughout the organisation to equip our team with the skills they need to succeed and to allow them to develop their careers. The training is delivered through external suppliers, on our online training portal or on the job.
- We actively work to ensure that as we open new venues our people grow with us, offering career progression and leadership opportunities; the potential for growth within the business has been further enhanced through our expansion into the US market with venues in New York.
- We are proud to be part of multi-cultural cities and we embrace diversity and inclusivity right across our business. We are delighted to have such diversity within our business including gender, sex, ethnicity, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, belief and age. By way of example we have a team of people working for us, with over 30 languages spoken in our venues! It makes etc a very vibrant and exciting place to work; our open approach helps to retain, develop and attract talent.
- We have established a team of ‘CSR Champions’ in our venues who have responsibility for monitoring that our environmental and CSR policies are adhered to, updated and challenged.
We have a set of four core values and more information on these can be found on our Careers page.
Routed in our values we look to make commitments and then deliver.
- We have signed up to the London Mayors commitment to make London a sustainable events capital as part of the London Environment Strategy. Our target is to reduce food waste by 20% by 2025 and we are working with local charity to support the London Zero Waste target and share best practice in our industry.
- Where our buildings allow, our venues are Green Star certified by IACC – the International Association of Conference Centres Centers - this rigorous Code of Sustainability includes targets for education, waste & energy management, recycling, water conservation, air quality and purchasing all with the goal of reducing our carbon footprint and environmental impact.
Learn more about our pledge here.
For more information about the Green Star certificate visit the IACC website here.
Check out our Sustainability Policy.
Local Charity, Local Support
We have chosen YoungMinds as our nominated charity.
A Charity that has very similar origins to ours. YoungMinds began over 20 years ago and is local to our first venue, etc.venues Avonmouth House, which we opened in 1992.
YoungMinds is the UK’s leading charity championing the wellbeing and mental health of young people. They exist so that young people have the strongest possible voice in improving their mental health. They strive to make sure everything, from Government policy to practice in schools and services, is driven by young people’s experiences and aspirations. They support parents to help their children through difficult times, and equip professionals to provide the best possible support to the young people that they work with.
We are thrilled to be working with YoungMinds to support their fundraising efforts, both financially and through providing them with access to our venues and other resources.
In addition we are working with YoungMinds to support our own teams mental health through management training.
For more information about YoungMinds click here.