Now that we’re settling into 2022, we thought we’d take a look at how the next few months might unfold within the meetings and events sector and make a few customary predictions.
Looking beyond the short term, we believe we’ll see quite a few changes. Some will be expected while others – such as our fifth prediction – might come as a surprise!
- 2022 will be the year of meeting up. Restricted for so long we can all now return to meeting up with friends, family, colleagues and clients. We all know how to be safe and once you have your first face-to-face meeting you don’t go back. Our research showed 97% of event planners are increasingly inclined to meet in person, with 70% saying they want to meet colleagues face-to-face more often in 2022.
- Hybrid meetings and events are here to stay. Going forwards, we believe hybrid meetings will continue to play a valuable role as they provide a greater opportunity to boost attendance. In fact, according to our research, 54% of meeting planners agreed, with a further 13% suggesting they are the future of events. See our hybrid meetings and venues page for more information.
- Virtual meetings will become more immersive. Most people have dispensed with the virtual backgrounds on Zoom calls now for their weekly catch ups. However, events planners are looking for a much higher production value. They are opting for richer, more immersive 3D online experiences. We’re already seeing a step-change in virtual experiences as more clients see the benefits of a bespoke 3D environment with multiple branding opportunities. Visit our virtual events and meetings website for more information.
- On demand meeting space will continue to increase. A prediction from 2021 is back. Whilst the fixed lease was not ditched completely, many businesses repurposed their existing space. We’re already seeing corporate clients sub-lease whole floors and opt for flexible space and on-demand meeting rooms as and when required. This trend is likely to accelerate and become the norm as the need to be more agile becomes a key driver. For more information visit our on demand meeting space page for hire.
- We’ll rediscover a love for our cities. From an indifference to the “big smoke” to loving it… we think most people (including us) will fall in love with the hustle and bustle of city life. The excitement we have missed – a different shop for lunch every day, bumping into an old acquaintance on your journey in, grabbing a quick drink after work or just the fact there are so many opportunities at your fingertips. No day is ever the same!